The physical therapists at BSR Physical Therapy have been trained to diagnose and treat disorders of the vestibular system and problems with your imbalance. So vestibular rehabilitation improves your dizziness and balance.
Vestibular rehabilitation helps those experiencing dizziness and balance problems originating from the inner ear. The inner ear, along with vision and sensation, are the three systems you use to maintain your balance. When problems occur in one or more of these systems, you experience dizziness or balance problems. Vestibular rehabilitation uses skilled physical therapy techniques to treat vertigo and balance disorders with success rates as high as 90%.
How do Physical Therapists Diagnose a Vestibular Problem?
Your physical therapist will evaluate your inner ear function, vision, and sensation. Also, your physical therapist will assess your brain’s ability to utilize information from these systems to maintain your balance. Your therapist will also test your balance, strength, motion sensitivity, coordination, and ability to perform functional activities.
Who Can Benefit From Vestibular Rehabilitation?
- People who suffer from vertigo, dizziness or a sense of imbalance.
- People who have had a stroke, head injury or concussion, a history of inner ear problems or diabetes.
- Elderly people who are more likely to develop a balance problem due to decreased reaction times and movement speeds, medicines that damage the inner ear and other conditions that affect balance.
What Treatments Are Available for Dizziness and Balance Disorders?
- Canalith Repositioning Maneuvers (also known as the Epley Maneuver) – a quick and effective treatment for positional vertigo.
- Vestibular Habituation Training – retrains the brain to adapt to specific movements without dizziness.
- Oculomotor Exercises – increase coordination between the eyes, brain, and vestibular system.
- Balance Retraining – improves control of balance by teaching the brain to utilize all the systems affecting balance.
Vestibular rehabilitation services are offered at both our Barnegat and Manahawkin clinics.